Thursday, June 25, 2009

Being Domestic!

So last night I was really domestic! I went grocery shopping and bought a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't normally buy so I can try out some new dishes from some cookbooks I got. After I got home, I decided to make some chocolate chip cookies that Nuge has been begging me to make again. I found this really awesome recipe from www.allrecipes.com under Ashley's Chocolate Chip Cookies and, if I do say so myself, these cookies are amazing!! I took pictures while baking so you can have the full effect.
First you need all the ingredients. We have flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, an egg, vanilla, Crisco, chocolate chips, salt, and of course, my trusty pink mixer!
Then you put the sugar, brown sugar, and Crisco in the mixer.
Then you start beating it.
Then you check on the sleeping dogs to make sure you aren't waking them up with the noise.
Then you add the egg and vanilla.
And I finally figured out what this little contraption was for.
To make sure when you put in the flour, salt and baking powder, it doesn't fly everywhere and you can just spoon it in nice and easy. Really handy!
Then you mix in the chocolate chips with your handy spatula. I love using my "Caren's Kitchen" spatulas that Karen Pulver gave me as a wedding gift. My mom always said to not trust a woman who uses a spatula while making cookies, brownies, cakes, etc since it doesn't leave much batter to eat later. Don't worry Mom, I made you proud at the end. Just watch.
So then you drop the dough, in tablespoons, on a greased cookie sheet. I actually did use a tablespoon to make sure I had it just right and then rubbed in in my hand to make them round.
You set the oven temp at 375. Of course, you don't have to bake your cookies at midnight, but I wanted to make sure they were nice and fresh for Nuge when he got home from work.
Then 8 minutes later, they come out nice and yummy!
Mmmmm! :)
Oh darn there isn't enough dough to make another cookie. Guess that's just gonna have to go in my belly! :)
Batch #2!
Yep, making sure they are still asleep!
Then you find a really cute cookie jar and put them all in. These fit perfectly inside this jar that Jan gave me.
So now the true test comes, does he like them or not?
Apparently he does.
Apparently he makes this face whenever he tastes something good. This is a pic of him after he tasted his Groom's cake.

So in case you wanted the actual recipe, here it is:
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened (I used Crisco instead of butter)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups milk chocolate chips ( I used the whole bag because, well, I didn't see that it said to only use 2 cups. Maybe a whole bag is 2 cups. Either way, I used the whole bag. Besides, Nuge and I like a lot of chocolate chips in our cookies.)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients, then stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
So I hope you get a chance to make these awesome cookies yourself. They are wonderful. Once Nuge got home, he ate one, then ate 6 more. Then he ate more for breakfast. I'm almost out of cookies and it hasn't even been 24 hours. Granted, Jan and Kevin did eat some too, but still...they are that good. Too bad I can't take the credit for them.

Now on to my domestic activity #2!
I decided to make Gus her own doggy bed. Jan had 2 old, very flat pillows that she was no longer using. I thought it would be a good idea to sew them together and then tie fleece on it to make a nice, soft bed for Gus to lay on.
Here are the 2 pillows and the 2 different colored fleece. I bought them at Hobby Lobby and they were on sale since they were just left overs.
Now I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the project because I was in a hurry, but the instructions are simple.
1.) I laid the fleece out and put the pillows on top and kept a 4 inch (or whatever) margin all the way around so I could tie the ends.
2.) I then sewed the pillows together. It doesn't matter if your sewing skills are lame (which mine are at the moment but will get better, I hope) because it will be covered up by the fleece. 3.) Then I put the sewn together pillows on top of the yellow fleece and covered it with the red fleece.
4.) The I cut the strips (about 2 inches wide) all along the sides. After that, I tied them together.
This was the finished project. I forgot to take a picture of the yellow side, but you get the idea. Gus was pretty thrilled about it.
Although I'm thinking she liked sleeping UNDER it rather than on top of it. But whatever. It's her bed and she can do what she wants.
I still think this is her favorite bed though.

1 comment:

Elementary Counselor said...

Super adorable!! I will def. be making those cookies!!
Seriously, your puppy makes me think of Chuck when he was a wee tot. Super cute pics, girlie.