Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What's up with 2nd shift?

For 2 weeks, Nuge was on first shift for "Summer Shut Down". After being on 2nd shift since May, it was really difficult to adjust. In fact, I don't think either of us did. We were constantly tired, Nuge was getting sick, and I was having head aches. It was rough and I feel sorry for people who have to do 1st shift all the time. Not really. There are some pros and cons of 1st shift, 2nd shift, staying home, and working.

1st shift:
*Wake up at 6:30-6:45am. For natural night people (ahem us), this is no fun! For some people out there (ahem Mom and Davis) this is late.
*No breakfast because that would require waking up even earlier.
*No lunch with the wifey/hubby and that's sad, cause then we have to go the entire 9 hours without seeing each other. And let's face it, that's never fun for anyone!
*Morning nap with Gus that usually lasts between an hour to 2 hours. Always a good time!
*Wake up again and be hungry. But if you are anything like me, you don't like eating alone. So I would sometimes put off my hunger until later. I would try to snack on things, but then I'd remember that we don't keep snacky foods in the house for this very reason. So maybe a bag of popcorn, maybe nothing at all. Either way, not healthy.
*I'd lay around in jammies all day, because most of my friends work during the day, so I have nobody to hang with usually.
*I make dinner for Nuge.
*He's too tired to do anything because he's been running on 6 hours of sleep (and we all know that that's not enough).
*Gus is all confused about sleeping.
*I'm usually tired around 10, but stay up until Nuge gets tired which is around midnight, and then we start over.
With first shift, it just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. It feels like my time with Nuge is cut short, and that's no bueno.
*Get to hang out with the Walkers for LifeGroup more! Any day that we spend with the Walkers is a good day!

2nd shift:
*Going from a first shift Friday to a 2nd shift Monday = longer weekend!
*Go to bed around midnight or 1am on Sunday and wake up around 9:30 on Monday. That's a nice 8.5 hours of sleep! Not too shabby.
*Get up, have breakfast since we don't have to do anything until 2:30 when Nuge leaves for work.
*Hang out, watch a movie, play with Gus, talk, play around, and just have awesome husband and wife time.
*Nuge goes off to work, leaving me and Gus here all day to get stuff done. Usually Gus is ready for a nap, but I'm already up and ready for the day. So I stay in my jammies and start cleaning the house. Do laundry, vacuum, dust, change sheets, mop, and just all sorts of good stuff. All the while, watching movies to keep me entertained, because really, who enjoys cleaning in a quiet house? Better yet, who really enjoys cleaning? Show of hands now. Jan, you can't participate in this survey!
*I make dinner around 5pm. I usually make something kinda nice. Well, at least Nuge thinks it's nice. As soon as it's done, I put it in some of our handy dandy Tupperware that we got for or wedding, put Gus outside with some nice ice water (yeah she likes crushed ice...weird I know), then pack up and head up to Nuge's work.
*Arrive for dinner with Nuge. Nothing fancy, because remember, we are eating out of Tupperware, but at least we get to have dinner together. We talk and hang out for about 45 minutes and then he has to go back to work and I gotta go back home. After all, we do have a puppy that needs my love and care.
*Everyone goes to bed around 10 or 11 because everyone else has to wake up early for their jobs (suckers!) so Facebook gets a little lame late at night (sorry to the ones that I do chat with late at night. That's not meant for you. I love you, please don't leave me).
*Watch movies some more and play with Gus. Maybe bake some cookies to have ready when Nuge comes home. After he's home, we get another few hours to chill together before we turn in for the night.
So it just feels as though we get more QUALITY time together. That really is the main thing to me. I love spending time with him.

Staying home:
*There is only so much cleaning you can do.
*I am free to run errands at all hours of the day or night sometimes because I'm not bogged down with a "job". I'm totally not saying that staying at home isn't a job, because if you've ever stayed at home, you know it's hard work.
*I can do the things that God designed me to do; cook, clean, take care of children (hey, Gus does too count!!), and be there for my husband. It also gives me time to work on hobbies, which I've never had before. I'm learning how to sew and plan to get very good at it some day.
*Most of my friends work, so it does get lonely. But I can also go have some fun time with my mom and niece when I'm not lazy. Sorry Mom, I'll come by more often. I promise.
*When my mother in law is in town, we pick on each other and that's always fun. At least it is for me. ;) Love ya MommyJan!
*I get to have 3 meals a day with my husband.

Working outside the home:
*We made more money.
*The house was always a mess cause by the time we got home, we didn't want to do anything. Too tired from our long days.
*I only really cooked on days that I didn't work. Last thing I wanted to do when I came home from screaming kids was cook a nice meal. So we spent more money on fast food.
*I didn't get to see Nuge as much.
*It got me out of the house.
*I loved being a substitute. It was so much fun. Such hard work. So tiring. But at the end of the day, they weren't my kids and I could just walk away and never go back if I didn't want to.
*I hated being a substitute. Kids were rude, disrespectful, mean, loud, needy, sick, full of runny noses, can't read, can't write, can't say my last name, smell, and were terrible. But at the end of the day, they weren't my kids and I could just walk away and never go back if I didn't want to. And believe me, there were definitely some classes and schools that I never returned to. :Shudders:

So there ya have it. The pros and cons of everything. Well, not everything, but the staying at home, going to work, 1st and 2nd shift everything. And that's not even everything. And I'm really sad to say that I don't have any Gus pictures on this computer, but let me see if I can find something entertaining to you.

Well there ya have it folks, our very first date! June something, 2007. Rangers Game. Rangers lost super bad, but we didn't notice. Well we did actually, that's when we started watching the trash fall from the stands. Entertainment. Dollar Dog Night. Perfect!

No comments: